The RISE Trust runs the volunteer ‘Mentor Me’ programme in Chippenham primary schools which has delivered very positive results. This free service to schools provides valuable one-to-one adult interaction to pupils. A referral for mentoring is made to the Trust by a school.
- A volunteer mentor is seen as a ‘neutral’ and the child can talk without being judged.
- Mentoring is about building a relationship of trust and respect, and then journeying with the child.
- A mentoring session consists of chatting, playing a game or doing an arts and craft activity but often the student wants to talk about their feelings and worries.
- Mentors provide a listening ear to the children.
- Mentors are not counsellors, and cannot make decisions for the students.
- The mentoring sessions take place in school for typically 45 minutes weekly.
For more information on becoming a mentor please contact:
Tel: 01249 464008